So I’m totally obsessed with the whole mullet skirt/dress trend right now and since I’m totally into upcycling I wanted to try making one of my own. I looked up a few YouTube tutorials and they seemed easy enough but I thought I would practice on a dress that I didn’t mind possibly screwing up. I decided to use a yellow housedress that I’ve never liked the length of and the color had started to dull, and I gave it a try. It turned out that it really is as simple as the videos make it seem and after the dress was cut, I didn’t hate it as much anymore and could actually see some potential in the dress. Still the color needed a change. A trip to Hobby Lobby was made and I purchased a bottle of Rit in Sunshine Orange and began the whole dyeing process. I used the stove top method because I find that to be the most successful at achieving full color saturation. I didn’t bother to hem it because the finish looked nice with the dress but probably will after a few runs through the dryer. In the end I was pretty happy with the result and will be trying this technique on other dresses and skirts that I’m sick of.
Go Orange and Upcycle